|Hello again – or I guess I should say, “Aloha” since I just came back from the most exotic place I’ve visited yet, Maui Hawaii!!
Talk about relaxing; the islands are physically and organically stunning!! My husband, his parents and I all traveled together to the Kaanapali side of the Maui. After the traitorous snow storms Massachusetts had been hit with, we had sun, drinks and food, on repeat for eight days. Before my husband (whose name is Adam by the way) tied the knot we lived in Miami for three years. I am an expert on how to pack for a warm climate. I am going to take you into how I prepare for a warm destination and break down how to pack. Most will agree the only dreadful tag a vacation comes along with is filling that damn suitcase.
You must start with preparing your skin! Whether you are traveling from the cold or not you still are going to spend more time in the sun on a tropical vacation than usual. After much time experimenting with products, I have found two simple secret weapons.
Neutrogena sesame body oil. It is so moisturizing without any greasy residue. It works great with all skin types. Start using it when your trip is near. Now I use the oil as an everyday moisturizer right after I get out of the the shower while my skin is still damp. I shake the bottle and put it everywhere. This works as a serum, I put extra on my chest because this is where I am prone to burn in the sun. Your skin will become so smooth preventing burning and peeling from all the sun exposure.
The second product is the UnderCoverWear “Skinny Dip” body lotion. I took this beauty with me in my suitcase. It has an easy to close pump that will not leek. This lotion leaves skin silky with no residue because it contains no fillers. Most lotions contain “mineral oil”, which is a junky cheap oil companies use to fill the bottle. Mineral oil clogs pores and does not moisturize. Skinny Dip contains all natural ingredients, including hemp oil. After a day of being in the sun I like to head back to my room shower, before I get dressed for the night I lather in the lotion. Skinny Dip is also amazing for keeping that envious glowing tan once you return home ;).
1. Pack light – Keep in mind your on vacation you do not want to spend hours getting ready each night (nor does anyone want to wait for you) taking valuable time away!
2. Pajamas – Baby dolls & Chemises are cute, sexy and comfortable! UCW has what I think is the best one yet! The color is a turquoise blue with dainty lace detail and looks great with any skin tone. This fits great with or without a bra. Also when you order anything from UCW it comes delicately and lightly wrapped in tissue paper. I packed this right in my suitcase and it was perfect!
3. Dresses – Dresses are light in weight, and perfect for day and night! While in Maui we, took a day trip to the small surfer town of Paia. I found the most beautiful hidden gem boutique where I bought the loveliest dress. The store is called “Tamara Catz” Everything in the store was unique and too die for! Lucky for us they have an online site. Next time I need a special dress I am defiantly ordering one from here. All the clothes run true to size, and come with a pretty sea green reusable bag.
4. Sunscreens – Buy them at the local store down town or at your hotel gift shop. Trust me you don’t want to have to pack them twice, this makes life easier.
5. Hair Products – Salt water and chlorine dries hair out and can drastically alter it’s color regardless if its colored or not. I found a lifesaver. My consistently proficient and pleasurable colorist Ciara Barretto at Rudolph Adamo Salon (in Cohasset, MA) turned me on to a hair tonic spray by “Hairo”. This is a very light weight spray for hair and scalp, it contains SPF and all natural oils to condition and protect. I brought it to the beach/pool and sprayed on my dry or wet hair before taking a dip! This stuff is the real deal.So, with the essentials out of the way, here is my entire Packing List for an 8-day tropical getaway:
So those are my lists & tips! Now, just hop online and book your Tropical Getaway! After this winter, I think we all deserve a break!